Pages

Monday

A Foolish Choice was my Best Choice

.
In 1998, I did something that many people who knew me thought was very foolish. Without having any savings to back me up I quit a very comfortable corporate job I had in order to follow my dream of making a living from my writings.

I made a committment to myself, that no matter what, I would never work a 9 to 5 job again. In the beginning, I experience scary times, around money, because I was so dependent on the security of a regular paycheck for so many years.

The way I got through the scary times was to keep putting one foot in front of the other and dealing with my fears, of not having enough money, as they came up.

Today, I live the life I always dreamed of living. I couldn't have done it without a powerfully encouraging letter I received from a friend of mine that set me free to follow the longings of my heart. Here is her letter to me:


“Few people are brave enough to follow their hearts. It’s all too easy to opt for the security of a 9-to-5 job with good benefits and tell that voice within to shut up. Sadly, it seems that shutting up that voice tends to shut up some vital creative, spiritual element inside of us that becomes trapped, alone in the dark, able only to exert strange longings within us. However, for a fortunate few, the strange longings become too strong to ignore and the prisoner is released.”


Her words touched the deepest part of my soul. I could no longer ignore the strange longing inside of me, I had to be free to follow my heart or life wasn't worth living any more.

Prior to make the "break" in 1998, I tried to make the "break" six times early in my 9 to 5 career and always ended up running back to the corporate world when I got too scared. This time I did not and that made it possible for me to make my dream come true. I am not saying you should do what I did but if you do, I'll be in your corner every step of the way.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment