Pages

Monday

Self-Forgiveness Sets Me Free From The Mistakes I Make

.
I don't know about you but I can be very hard on myself. You see I have high standards for myself, ridiculously high. I am not sure when I got my standards (performance expectations) or from whom but my self-imposed standards of excellence have caused me to suffer needlessly from time to time... And since I don't like suffering, I discovered forgiving myself for not meeting my high standards releases me from any penalty or punishment (real or imagined) when I don't reach them.. 

Forgive means to: 1. grant pardon for an offense ; to absolve; to set free from punishment. 2. to cease to feel resentment against yourself or others. When I forgive myself I am set free to create what I want rather than being filled with feelings of  guilt, resentment, anger,  anxiety, fear or depression. The unwillingness to forgive myself for my mistakes makes 'nasty feelings' stick to me like SUPER GLUE.  And since I don't like feeling negative, forgiving myself for not meeting my own high standards makes me feel great.

If you have ridiculously high standards for yourself, like I do, then you know that no matter what you do, your best is never good enough... And since that is true for me, I forgive myself for not measuring up. I forgive myself for not being as good as other folks. I forgive myself that my best isn't good enough for other people and in forgiving myself, I accept my best is good enough. it's good enough for me..


.


No comments:

Post a Comment