Pages

Saturday

Deleting "Doubt" from the Mind

.
We are of two minds, one is conscious, the other is subconscious. There is lots of good stuff in the subconscious part of our mind that allows us to walk, read and talk without thinking about it.

In the beginning, we could not walk, read or talk, so we had to study and practice with our conscious mind until those conscious thoughts became automatic habit of thoughts in our subconscious mind. Once that happened, walking, reading and talking required no conscious thought at all on our part. That's the good new.

The bad news is, our subconscious mind has lots of garbage in it that keeps surfacing and distracts our conscious mind. The garbage that surfaces are our doubts that undermine our ability to use our conscious mind to achieve what we want in the "here and now."

What most people do with their doubts is fight with them, resist them or try to overcome them. The more energy you put into fighting, resisting or trying to overcome your doubts, the more powerful your doubts become. That is why fighting, resisting or trying to overcome doubt does not work.

Even as I write this, using my conscious mind to organize my thoughts, doubts from my growing up years, are surfacing in the background of my mind. They are trying to distract me from writing this message to you.

Here is how I deal with my doubts.

I keep my FOCUS on my conscious thoughts and actions and what I am doing in the moment. I keep myself focused in the moment.... At the same time, I am aware of doubts surfacing and I allow them to surface. I do not resist or fight with them. I acknowledge them, I admit they are present and I let them pass me by. Here is how that goes:

------------------------
I've written this section in dialogue form as a conversation between my doubts and myself so you can better understand how I deal with doubt in a positive way.
------------------------

Mr. Doubt: Who are you Frederick Zappone to be writing about such things? Who gave you permission to write about the conscious and subconscious mind?

Me: Thank you for caring Mr. Doubt, tell me more.


Mr. Doubt: You know you are never going to get rich doing this kind of writing. You know people won't understand what the hell you are talking about. You know your writings will never be fully appreciated by others.

Me: Thank you for caring Mr. Doubt, tell me more.



Mr. Doubt: Why don't you listen to me. I know what is best for you. I will punish you if you don't listen to me.

Me: Thank you for caring Mr. Doubt, tell me more.


Mr. Doubt: You are impossible. You never listen to anyone but yourself. What is wrong with you?

Me: Thank you for caring Mr. Doubt, tell me more.



This kind of conversation with my doubts goes on, in the background of my mind, every time I sit down to write an article. I simply do not pay attention to my doubts except to acknowledge they are present, in the background of my mind, and allow them to pass me by...

I can trace every one of my doubts back to "authority figures" in my life, during my growing up years who filled my head with "nonsense thoughts" that no longer serve me.

I can't argue with what was previously programmed into my mind. However, I do not have to give my past programming any power over me in this moment of now....and I do that by allowing "nonsense thoughts" to pass me by and keep my conscious attention in the moment.

Some of my doubts can be brutal because I was abused, during my growing up years, by people who had the best intentions but believed in the heavy-handed approach to child rearing... I have forgiven them all because, today, I know how easy it is to leave doubts, from my past, alone and allow them to harmlessly pass me by...



.

No comments:

Post a Comment