Pages

Sunday

Language Magic: Part II

.
In Part one, I mentioned language both reveals and conceals. Here is another example of what I mean. Have you ever heard yourself or someone else making one of the following statements:

I know I'll never get it right.

I know I will never make enough money to quit my job.

I know I will never win the lottery

I know I will never find someone to love me like Brad did.

I know I will never be the strong person I want to be.

I know I will have to work the rest of my life.

I know I am not smart enough to become a millionaire.

I know Mary will never understand me.

I know my boss will never appreciate me.


The first thing about all those statement is that they are all lies. It is not possible for people to know those things with 100% certainty unless they are Fortune Tellers with a 100% accuracy rate.

When people make those kinds of statements as statements of fact, the first thing that happens is that they are COMMANDING their minds "to not know" the truth because they believe they already know the truth... The second thing that happens is that they are "concealing" the truth from themselves.

Let me explain what I mean. I will take the word "Know" out of the statements listed above and replace it with the correct word, what people are really saying to themselves. Here is the list with the word change.

I fear I'll never get it right.

I fear I will never make enough money to quit my job.

I fear I will never win the lottery

I fear I will never find someone to love me like Brad did.

I fear I will never be the strong person I want to be.

I fear I will have to work the rest of my life.

I fear I am not smart enough to become a millionaire.

I fear Mary will never understand me.

I fear my boss will never appreciate me.


The next time you catch yourself saying "you know something", check to see if you really do know something or if you are using the word "know" as a substitute for the word fear

.

No comments:

Post a Comment