Pages

Monday

Stop Sign Language

.
People are not aware of it but there are lots of "words and phrases" people use that stops other people dead in their tracks. As a result, often times, people cannot achieve the satisfaction they want because they do not know how to move beyond "Stop Sign" Language.

For example, you have a problem with a store over something you purchased and you are not getting the satisfaction you want because your every request is met with:

It is our policy.
It is against our policy.
Our policy doesn't permit us to do that.


Those phrases stop many people but they don't have to stop you.

When someone says to me that it is there policy or it is against their policy, I ask to speak to their boss or supervisor. If I get the same response, I keep climbing up the corporate ladder until I can talk to someone who will give me the satisfaction I seek and make an exception to their policy.

As a matter of information, the higher up you climb the corporate ladder, the nicer the people are and if you climb high enough you will find the person who has the authority to make an exception to their policy and provide you with the satisfaction you seek.

Can you think of other STOP SIGN words and phrases?

How about:

1. Because I'm your father and I said so..
2. God will punish if you for that.
3. It's none of your business.
4. I'm more experienced and know more than you do.
5. I'm your boss, that's why.
6. It's the bank policy
7. It's the church policy.
8. You don't know what you're talking about.
9. That the worst piece of writing I have ever seen.
10. You will never be a success in life.

(The STOP SIGN words and phrases that have the most power over us are ones uttered by "authority figures" in our lives. By the way, an "authority figure" is any person we allow to have power over us.)

--------------

If you can think of any "stop sign" words or phrases that have stopped you from getting the satisfaction you wanted, click on the comment link below and post them. I want to see how big of list of STOP SIGN words and phrases we can come up with. You can post your comments anonymously if you so desire.

-------------

As it relates to this article, in January I posted an article titled: Instructions for Life. In that article, Rule #5 states:

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.


Click on this link Instructions for LIFE to read the complete list.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment