Pages

Friday

What Can I Do To CALM Myself Down, RIGHT NOW!!!


I don't know what you can do but here is what I do when my thoughts are running wild through my mind driving me into a state of inner turmoil.

I STOP whatever I am doing... I STOP dead in my tracks...

I move into the OBSERVATION mode.. 

and I start asking myself questions

What am I doing?  

Why am I doing it?  

How is it making me feel?

Once I determine the answers to those questions I start doing conscious breathing. I slowly and deeply breathe in and out fives times while counting backwards from ten down to one.  This calms me immediately. 

After doing that I begin focusing my attention on those things that make me feel good..   It could be music, a cup of my favorite tea, a hot shower or just a deliberately walking slowly around the block. I do whatever works to get me balanced and centered again.

The most important part is the breathing exercise. When we are stressed  out we automatically go into shallow breathing which deprives the brain of oxygen which makes us feel more stressed out.  Deep breathing, while counting backwards, feeds the brain oxygen, relieves the body of stress and allow us to think more clearly...

No comments:

Post a Comment