Pages

Sunday

A Worry (War) Story

I wrote a friend of mine about how I gave up worry cold turkey.
Here is her comment back to me about worry and my response to it.:

 A Worry (War) Story

I have at times almost felt guilty for NOT feeling guilty or worrying. - Katie  
(Need the finest soaps,visit Katie's site, Click Here)

I know that one well.  I was a worrier, a catholic worrier, from the time I was seven years old when I started believing the catholic teachings about lying and going to hell. At 16, I was attending Saint Vincent Prep.  I was walking up past the school library when I SUDDENLY realized I wasn't worrying about anything. The rush of inner freedom I felt from not worrying was so powerful that it scared the poop out of me and I, immediately, started worrying over the fact I wasn't worrying (in hindsight, how stupid I was). And before I knew it I was pulled back into the worried state of mind that lasted up until a few months ago when I gave up WORRY, cold turkey. As I said in my prior letter to you, the first week of giving up worry was hell. I wore a rubber band around my wrist and every time I caught myself falling back into that worried state of mind, I snapped the band against my wrist to snap me out of a worry spell. After one week of snapping the band against my wrist. I had completely reprogrammed my mind to become worry free. How liberating it is not to worry any more.



------------------------
Thought to PONDER 
Ever notice the happier you get, the unhappier 
some of the people around you get?  I wonder why that is?
If you have an answer, leave a comment.


.

3 comments:

  1. I think there are a lot of reasons for this. But mainly, you are not validating their way of thinking any more. You are not commiserating with them any more, and they notice and get real grumpy with you....You no longer make them feel comfortable. HOW COULD YOU not be just like them??? Miserable??? How dare you change!!!!!.....xoxoxoxo Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I am going to try that rubber band thingy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, the 'rubber band' thingy makes you fully conscious when you are entering into the 'worry zone' so you can pull yourself free from it. The 'rubber band' thingy is a form of 'aversion therapy'. It makes you have an conscious distaste for worry like you have a distaste for certain kinds of food and as a result avoid them. Soon you will be avoiding worry. :)

    ReplyDelete